64 dead from road accidents in Jamaica this year

first_imgStatistics from Jamaica’s Road Safety Unit have revealed that 64 persons have lost their lives in road accidents since the start of the year.The number represents a 33 percent decline when compared to the corresponding period last year, which saw 9. The Unit said raod fatalities are expected to decrease by 15 per cent in 2017.Of the number of deaths recorded so far this year, 20 were motorcyclists, 19 were pedestrians, 12 were drivers of private motor vehicles, six pedal cyclists, three passengers of private motor vehicles, two pillion passengers on motorbikes, and two drivers of commercial vehicles.Men are the leading victims of road fatalities on the Jamaica’s roads. A total of 56 males have died on the island’s roadways. This represents 88 per cent of all road users killed.Director of the Unit, Kenute Hare, says that the Unit will be coming up with more strategies targeting males with a view to arresting the troubling trend. In a media release, Hare appealed to all males to re-acquaint themselves with the road code and practice the principles as this will go a far way in their preservation as they traverse the nation’s thoroughfares.last_img read more

Commonwealth Observer Group says Bahamas election was “peaceful and orderly”

first_imgVoters line up to cast their ballots in the recently held general elections in the Bahamas The chair of the Commonwealth Observer Group to the recently concluded general elections , has commended the country for the peaceful and orderly manner in which they exercised their right to vote on May 3 in the advanced polls and on election day on May 10.Issuing the Group’s interim statement, the chair of the group, Hannah Tetteh said the overall conclusion was that the elections were peaceful and credible and the will of the people was decisively expressed with a high voter turnout.In the Group’s statement, issued on Friday, she praised the conduct of members of the  police force.“We were impressed with the high level of technological preparedness and the manner in which they had considered every single aspect of the electoral process that could be supported by the police. It is a model of best practice that ought to be recommended across the Commonwealth.”Tetteh also drew attention to the visibly high number of women electoral workers and commended the spirit of young people during the campaign as well as the number of young candidates participating.In conclusion, the Group strongly recommended the establishment of an independent election management body with a modern voting and counting system.The Observer Group the arrived here on May 3, was preceded by an advance team, which arrived in the country on April 27.The  full report that was completed by the team before the group left on Friday,  will be made public at a later date.Gay US tourist attacked during festival in Bahamaslast_img read more

In search of voters

first_imgBrenda Snipes is in search of voters Broward County Supervisor of Elections (SOE) Brenda Snipes, launched the annual High School Voter Registration (HSVR) Drive on May 5. It ends on Friday.A joint effort between the SOE, Broward County public schools and Broward County private and charter high schools, it gives high schools an opportunity to register students who meet the qualifications to become registered voters.The primary criteria for students to register to vote in local, state and national elections include being at least 18-years old and a citizen of the United States.A student workshop/training seminar was held on April 18 in each school’s media center to communicate voter registration policies and procedures. The video conference training was streamed live to the participating schools.Broward County Election staff are scheduled to visit over 64 local high schools. Election officials will be on hand to assist students and personnel as they conduct their registration drive.The school with the most registered students will receive the Brass Trophy, banners and certificates. Last year, Stoneman Douglas High School registered 729 new voters.Students 16 and 17 years-old may pre-register. The goal is to register at least 9,500 Broward County high school students this academic year.last_img read more

Dominica bans Styrofoam and plastic items

first_imgThe Dominica government says it will ban the use of Styrofoam and certain plastic items from January 1, next year.Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit told Parliament that that the decision is in keeping with his administration’s vision to have the island become the first climate resilient country in the world.“Madam Speaker, consistent with the Government’s vision to create the world’s first climate resilient nation, our designation as “The Nature Isle” and our commitment to protect Mother Earth, effective 1st January 2019, a number of items considered to be inimical to the environment will be banned.“These will include the following: plastic straws, plastic plates, plastic forks, plastic knives, Styrofoam cups, Styrofoam containers,” Skerrit said, adding that that the necessary legislation to enforce the ban will soon be prepared. “We must in every way deserve and reflect that designation,” he said of the island being known as the “Nature Isle.”He said the issue of solid waste management affects the perception of Dominica as the Nature Island and his government continues to grapple with the problem.“In a previous budget address, I announced a decision to restrict the importation of non-biodegradable containers and plastic implements used in food service. This matter has not proceeded as quickly as we would have liked, as we wanted to ensure that we implemented that policy without compromising our obligations under the revised Treaty of Chaguaramas. (that governs the Caribbean Community (CARICOM)).“It is acceptable for a country to adopt measures which will help in the preservation of the environment,” he added.last_img read more

Calypsonian “Mighty Composer” Fred Mitchell dies at 83

first_imgThe calypso fraternity was mourning the death of Fred Mitchell, the fourth calypsonian to have died within the past month.“Mighty Composer”Mitchell, 83, better known as “Mighty Composer,” died at the Mount Hope Medical Complex Wednesday where he had been hospitalized for the past two weeks with a heart condition and other health issues.President of the Trinbago Unified Calypsonians’ Organization (TUCO) Lutalo Masimba and TUCO welfare officer Carlton Kerr had called on Trinidad and Tobago to “lift Composer up in prayer”.“We need to pray for him. We want him to recover quickly. I know a number of artistes have visited him,” Kerr said.Composer was a popular singer in the 1960s and 70s with hits such as “Workers’ Lament”, “Supposing”, “True or Lie”, “Black Fallacy” and “Child Training”. He was also a master of ceremonies, comedian, impresario and tent manager.He was also a foundation member of the first Calypsonians’ Association in Trinidad and Tobago and served on the executive for many years.In July, the Emancipation Support Committee (ESC) dedicated a concert titled “Shikamoo – Ancestral Rhythm” to Composer for his contribution to the art form and ESC said that the Swahili word Shikamoo means “I respect you”.Over the past four weeks, Trinidad and Tobago cultural sector has lost pannist Ken “Professor Philmore, calypsonians Winston Bailey, the Mighty Shadow, Winston Scarborough De Original de Fosto and Andrew Marcano, Lord Superior.last_img read more

Could Cuba Have The Antidote for COVID-19?

first_imgHAVANA, Cuba – Ask the authorities in China, South Korea, Germany, and Italy about the Cuban drug Interferon Alpha 2B—as their efforts at stemming the contagion of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) are placed in the spotlight—and their response would reflect a more positive outcome.Out of a confirmed infection rate of 8,000 persons in South Korea, 72 succumbed to the virus. In  Germany, just three persons died out of the 3,156 infected by this deadly virus, while the numbers in China, which was the epicenter of this pandemic, had approximately 3,500 deaths from a confirmed infection of close to 100,000 individuals.Currently, a team of Cuban doctors alongside their Chinese counterparts, armed with the Interferon Alpha 2B, are in Italy to help that beleaguered nation in an attempt to stem a death toll rate, which is considerably worse than what was experienced at the height of the COVID-19 crisis in Wuhan, China.Meanwhile, here in the United States, we’re scrambling to respond to COVID-19. We’re lagging behind in providing testing to citizens, many of whom researchers are saying may have already contracted the virus. In fact, scientists are saying the true numbers in the U.S. are way above the official Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) count of 10,442 cases and 150 deaths, up to press time.When compared with other countries such as South Korea and Germany, the number of confirmed coronavirus-linked deaths in the U.S. is staggering. As states ramp up testing, the number of cases is expected to climb exponentially and we’re simply unprepared to handle a large-scale pandemic. The U.S. currently has no vaccines available and no established treatments. We’re in a race against the clock, and while the Federal government touts two potential treatments—the malaria drug Chloroquine and the experimental antiviral drug Remdesevir—Cuba’s Interferon Alpha 2B is being used successfully around the globe.So what is this Interferon Alpha 2B, which is now being thrust on the world stage as one of the leading anti-COVID-19 drugs in response to the global pandemic? It is one of 22 drugs that has been developed in Cuba since 1986 by its Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (CIGB) and has been used as a treatment for HIV-AIDS, hepatitis B and C, herpes zoster or shingles, dengue and different types of cancers.Interferons are ‘signaling’ proteins, explains Dr. Helen Yaffe of Glasgow University, an expert on Cuba. These proteins are produced and released by the body in response to infections and alert nearby cells to heighten their antiviral defenses. It is not a cure or a vaccine to COVID-19 but rather an antiviral that boosts the human defense system.There are currently manufacturing relationships between the Caribbean island and China for this stellar product and it is highly recommended by medical specialists for its ability to fight the COVID-19 virus.  During the onset of the virus in Wuhan province, the Chinese authorities found it to be exceptional in destroying the virus from thousands of its citizens who had contracted this respiratory disease at the earliest stages.Since the success of this antiviral drug has become public knowledge, Cuba has been flooded with requests from all across the globe, including, Africa, Europe, Latin and South America and Caribbean nations that make up the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States.last_img read more

Realistic Games signs agreement with Betfred

first_img Slots and table games supplier Realistic Games has signed a deal with Betfred to provide the bookmaker with its full portfolio of games.Andy Harris, Realistic GamesThe deal will see the operator bolster its portfolio with Realistic’s market-leading versions of blackjack and roulette.Russell Young, Commercial Director at Betfred.com, said: “We pride ourselves in offering our players the widest selection of quality games on the market, so joining forces with Realistic was a simple decision for us.“Their slots, and in particular their excellent table games, are a great addition, and I am sure they will become player favourites in no time at all.”The roll-out also includes a number of recent slot releases such as Fireworks and Crystal Clear, as well as the more proven Super Graphics Upside Down and 6 Appeal.Andy Harris, CEO at Realistic Games, said: “We are really pleased to be providing our games to Betfred, one of the UK’s most recognised and well respected gambling brands.“We are confident Betfred’s customers will be engaged and entertained by our games, regardless of whether they’re playing them on desktop, phone, or tablet.”Realistic has a history of producing quality slots, and one of its latest titles, Fireworks, was recently shortlisted for Game of the Year at the EGR Operator Awards.The supplier now provides its games to a number of operators worldwide. Earlier this year, Realistic also reached a company milestone by producing its first truly multi-channel game; ‘The Fruit Machine’. Betfred boosts US racing coverage with XB Net deal renewal August 10, 2020 Submit Betfred counters Oppenheimer bid in race to rescue Phumelela August 26, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Betfred extends World Snooker Championship deal until 2022 August 17, 2020 Share Related Articleslast_img read more

Ladbrokes Coral says no to GVC’s £3.6 billion takeover bid

first_img Share Related Articles StumbleUpon Martin Lycka – Regulatory high temperatures cancel industry’s ‘silly season’ August 11, 2020 Submit GVC hires ‘comms pro’ Tessa Curtis to re-energise media profile  August 25, 2020 Share GVC absorbs retail shocks as business recalibrates for critical H2 trading August 13, 2020 The Financial Times has reported that FTSE-listed GVC Holdings has failed in its attempt to takeover UK market rival Ladbrokes Coral Plc.The business news source reports that Ladbrokes Coral governance had reviewed a £3.6 billion group takeover deal, aimed at creating ‘the outright UK gambling market leader’, by merging GVC’s digital gambling brands with Ladbrokes Coral retail and online assets.Last December, City rumours surfaced that GVC governance had asked its financial advisors to prepare a potential bid for newly merged Ladbrokes Coral.It appears that Ladbrokes Coral governance will not present the GVC takeover offer to its investors, as there is a firm disagreement relating to the company’s value.Detailing further insights, The Financial Times reports that GVC governance had valued Ladbrokes Coral group assets at £2.7 billion, with a proposed incentive of 50p per share, pricing its bid at £3.6 billion.Ladbrokes Coral governance has rejected the deal, with stakeholders close to the negotiations stating that parties are no longer in active talks. Both Ladbrokes Coral and GVC declined to comment on the bid.Industry analysts will be monitoring this story closely, as there are concerns that further regulatory challenges and restrictions imposed by the UK government, may lead to a ‘fresh round of consolidation’ for the betting and gaming market.At present, the governances of industry FTSE-listed bookmakers are now eagerly awaiting the UK governments industry review which is set to be published this autumn.last_img read more

Catena Media hits ‘peak performance’ as company begins 2020 journey

first_img Stockholm-listed industry affiliate network Catena Media has reported its ‘best ever trading quarter’ as the company progresses on its 2020 vision.Publishing its Q1 trading update (period ending 31 March), Catena reports a corporate revenue increase of €23,9 million (Q1 2017: €15,2 million).The Stockholm enterprise details a period of high activity across its network assets, in which Catena delivered +130,000 new depositing customers to industry clients.Furthermore, the affiliate marketing specialist details the effective integration and revamp of its newly acquired network assets, expanding its presence within the UK and Germany, whilst further diversifying its revenue pipeline beyond online betting/gambling.Closing a busy period, Catena governance declares a Q1 2018 corporate adjusted EBITDA of €12. 4 million (Q1 2017: €7 million), translating to net profits of €10 million.This March, Catena governance confirmed the appointment of Per Hellberg as the firm’s new Chief Executive Officer (CEO), replacing ‘interim’ incumbent Henrik Persson Ekdahl, as corporate leader.During the period, Catena governance moved to expand the firm’s corporate debt facility to €250 million, securing a further €150 million senior unsecured bond framework. Catena lauds ‘record’ Q2 as casino drives performance August 19, 2020 Related Articles Submit Genesis to appeal UKGC’s ‘disproportionate suspension’ July 23, 2020 StumbleUpon Share TVBET passes GLI test for five live games in Malta and Italy August 25, 2020 Sharelast_img read more

Gaming Realms sells 70% in UK B2C assets to Norwegian investment firm

first_img Submit Share Share River iGaming suspends B2C operations January 2, 2020 Related Articles StumbleUpon Gaming Realms agrees on takeover of Bear Group February 22, 2019 Bolstered BetterBetting board to support newly appointed CTO July 10, 2018 Patrick Southon – Gaming RealmsLondon AIM-listed Gaming Realms Plc has confirmed that it will sell 70% of its UK B2C division to Norwegian online gambling investment firm River iGaming for £23 million consideration. Confirming the transaction, Gaming Realms governance is set to divest its B2C brands of Spin Genie, Pocket Fruity and the ITV syndicated Britain’s Got Talent and XFactor Games.Updating investors, Gaming Realms will maintain its flagship brand of Slingo.com and its associated properties.Detailing the terms of the transaction, Gaming Realms secures a minimum payment of £8.4 million combined with a further cash payment of £14.7 million executed on an earn-out basis.Should the deal be accepted by investors, Gaming Realms B2C division will continue to operate its divested assets for River iGaming’s upcoming UK property of River Casino Limited until 30 June 2020.“We believe this sale will be transformational for Gaming Realms as it will enable us to focus more of our resources on international licensing and the development of new gaming content, placing us in a stronger position to drive further profitable growth in the future,”  detailed Gaming Realms Chief Executive Patrick SouthonMoving forward, Gaming Realms governance will use B2C proceeds to further develop new gaming content and the platform capabilities of its B2B division.last_img read more