That other pandemic that postponed a Betis game

first_imgLaLiga Santander* Data updated as of March 14, 2020 Influenza A, also called influenza, killed more than 18,000 people worldwide between 2009-2010. Then classified also as a ‘pandemic’ by the World Health Organization, influenza did not paralyze Europe the way the coronavirus is doing, but Betis suffered it in their meats in a direct way as it is happening this time with all teams in all competitions.The verdiblancos were active in the Second Division, a category to which they had dropped a few months earlier. On October 30, 2009, the Competition Committee of the Royal Spanish Football Federation accepted his request to postpone the league match against Villarreal B due to influenza A suffered by thirteen of its footballers. The Betic medical services had confirmed through tests that Sergio García, Arzu, Sunny, Carlos García, Nelson, Juande, Damiá, Nano, Caffa, Pavone, Emaná, Fernando Vega and the then-still-youth Israel Bascón were infected. As an insulation measure, Betis had already decided to suspend all training that the Verdiblanco team had to do during that week. In these days of coronavirus, the Heliopolis club has taken the step of not training until Monday and therefore evaluating the possibility of extending that time without meeting. In any case, the verdiblancos soccer players have the recommendation not to leave Seville.last_img read more

Rashford says on right track despite lack of game time

first_img“In these types of games, when the pressure is on you, you just be yourself and I think that’s what seems to happen in these games and the team seems to react well, when maybe we don’t react as well in other games,” said the 20-year-old.Rashford boosted his chances of earning another start against Sevilla in the Champions League on Tuesday — the first leg of the last-16 tie finished 0-0 — but he said he was doing most of his learning on the training pitch.“Right now, I’m probably not learning the most on the pitch,” said the former academy graduate, who hopes to play a key role for England at the World Cup in Russia.“In training is where I’m doing most of my learning. You have to take it into the game and today it worked.“Personally, taking the confidence from this game into the next games is important.”Rashford, who faces fierce competition for a starting spot from the likes of Alexis Sanchez, Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard, said he did not feel the need to express his frustrations to manager Jose Mourinho.“He doesn’t have to (speak to me),” said the forward. “In football you are going to be up, you’re going to be down.“The most important thing is sticking together as a squad. Everyone turns up every day for training, we all work hard, we all do the necessary things.“We are all in it together. Sometimes you are in the team, sometimes you are not in the team.”Fellow academy graduate Lingard, who had to bide his time at Old Trafford before making an impact, backed his friend to succeed.“It’s good that you can be around him to have a laugh and reassure him that it’s going to come good and that if he gets a chance he will perform, and he has done that today,” he said.“It’s a big club with big players and for players like me and Marcus it’s going to be tough to start every game but once you are on the pitch you have got to make an impact and maybe next game you will be playing. But you’ve got to always work hard, and he does.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford scores the opening goal against Liverpool at Old Trafford on March 10, 2018 © AFP / Oli SCARFFMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Mar 12 – Marcus Rashford is confident his development will not suffer from a lack of game time after scoring twice in a 2-1 victory against Liverpool on his return to the Manchester United starting line-up.Saturday’s match at Old Trafford was Rashford’s first Premier League start since Boxing Day, and just his third in all competitions in 2018, but there was little evidence of rust as second-placed United put further distance between themselves and their bitter rivals.last_img read more

Regions leaders call for new social pact

first_img The Tico Times From the print editionBy Diego Urdaneta | AFPWASHINGTON, D.C. – Central America needs a new regional pact to overcome substantial social inequality and to defeat organized crime, according to participants in the Central American Peace Accords in the 1980s, who spoke Tuesday at a meeting of the Organization of American States.“I think the legacy of the peace plan is a fertile but inconclusive one,” said Oscar Arias, winner of the 1987 Nobel Peace Prize and former two-term president of Costa Rica (1986-1990, 2006-2010). “In Central America, we have peace, democracy and development, but what’s lacking is quality in all of those variables.” Vinicio Cerezo. “It will be impossible to consolidate the democracy, plurality and peace achieved 25 years ago if we don’t decide to move forward toward necessary transformations,” said former Guatemalan President Vinicio Cerezo.Arias and Cerezo, two of five Central American presidents who signed the Esquipulas II Peace Accords in Guatemala in 1987, delivered keynote speeches during the OAS forum, which included other participants of the ’80s peace process, such as former Guatemalan Vice President Eduardo Stein.“We shouldn’t be satisfied with what the region has accomplished,” Arias said. Cerezo called for a new Esquipulas-type agreement to confront the “demons” of a social “debt” to the majority of Central Americans, as well as the violence and institutional weakness brought on by drug trafficking and organized crime. The new agreement should outline regional policy to confront the problems, the former president said. Continuing to ignore social injustice, Cerezo added, would “only continue undermining our society” and contribute to the “cultivation of future confrontation.”“The state is not functioning well, civil society is very fragmented and weak, and political society is defrauding citizens,” Stein said, adding that the new pact should include “minimum commitments” by countries of the region. Central American presidents met last week in Nicaragua to commemorate the peace accords, which put an end to decades of bloody civil war in the region.During last week’s summit, leaders debated the region’s priorities, including fighting organized crime, which has converted the isthmus into the world’s most dangerous region.Michael Barnes, who headed a subcommittee on Latin America in the U.S. House of Representatives in the ’80, called on U.S. officials to impose restrictions on the sale of weapons that later are trafficked to Mexico and Central America, where they end up in the hands of members of organized crime.OAS Secretary General José Miguel Insulza acknowledged that Central America’s problems can only be solved through solutions proposed by countries in the region.“The same courage that our leaders demonstrated [in signing the peace accords in 1987] is inspiring for today’s leaders who confront new challenges and threats against stability in the region,” Insulza said. Central America’s peace accords were “substantially important” for Latin America, as they were key elements that marked the process of democratization in the region,” he added.Said Insulza: “We can have discussions, but there are no other alternatives to democracy.” Facebook Comments No related posts.last_img read more