“All that information still resides in the PIU (Professional Integrity Unit) case file and is available to the county attorney’s office,” Banta said in his June 6, 2019 email. The outlet then found that a little over two weeks after claiming the department had no records, Taylor found a “hidden folder” with about “9,000 documents.” This back and forth continued to find that hundreds of thousands of documents were found and deleted, including 9,700 folders with almost 738,000 documents’ worth of data.Not only did the city fail to prevent the sexual abuse of children, it failed to take action against the officers who committed this crime. Taylor left the county attorney’s office last March and now works in City Hall. She did not respond to requests for comment. While the LMPD also had no comment, Mayor Greg Fischer noted that the city had destroyed the records and that The Courier-Journal does not have to go to the FBI if the LMPD has them. “They have destroyed their ability to comply with the open records law, and they did it purposely, and they didn’t tell the truth about it,” he said. “They can’t require us to go elsewhere to get those documents.” – Advertisement – The Explorer program has since then been shut down. As the investigations continue and lawsuits remain pending, both Wood and Betts remain in prison following a guilty plea. Investigations by former U.S. Attorney Kerry Harvey found that the LMPD mishandled allegations of sexually abused minors and failed to determine if the abuse was widespread, resulting in Wood and Betts’ imprisonment.Wood was sentenced to 70 months in prison for attempted enticement of a teen in the youth mentoring program, and Brett was given 16 years on charges of child pornography and enticement, The Courier-Journal reported.Additionally, a third Louisville Metro Police officer was charged with sexual abuse of a minor in the department’s same program on Nov. 3. Officer Brad Schuhmann resigned from the department last week, according to WDRB. He is set to plead guilty on Nov.16. – Advertisement – – Advertisement – Reporter Matt Glowicki filed requests for investigative files after officers Brandon Wood and Kenneth Betts were accused of sexually abusing youths in the Explorer program. In response, both the LMPD and Assistant Jefferson County Attorney Annale Taylor claimed that: “LMPD does not have possession or control of the records.” Additionally, they added that all materials have been removed from LMPD possession.But this statement was contradicted by Louisville Sgt. Robert Banta, who told Taylor in an email he could provide “any and all documents involved in the Explorer investigation up until April 1, 2017, when the federal investigation was initiated,” The Courier-Journal reported. – Advertisement – Schuhmann allegedly abused a girl in his police cruiser and sought sexual pictures and acts from her. Along with Betts and Wood, he is also accused in seven federal lawsuits of hiding evidence of his abuse by intimidation, destruction of evidence, deletion of information, and refusal to comply with the Kentucky Open Records Act, according to the lawsuits.“Over and over again, this is a police department that obfuscates and fails to remember it works for the taxpayers of Louisville and our commonwealth,” The Courier Journal’s Richard Green said. “We will continue to vigilantly pursue the truth and these records, which must be analyzed.“The Explorer case represents a total breakdown in trust between police and teens who had an interest in the law enforcement profession,” Green added. “To now dodge the public’s access to these documents speaks to an institutional disregard for the Open Records Act and the very residents LMPD is to serve and protect. My frustration with how it’s been handled only underscores our commitment to dig even deeper and hold those in power to account.”But this isn’t the only incident of sexual assault LMPD officers have committed. One of the officers involved in the tragic shooting of Breonna Taylor, an unarmed Black woman, is being investigated for sexual assault following a lawsuit. Officer Brett Hankinson is one of the three officers who fired a weapon into Taylor’s home the night she died on March 13. While he was not charged in connection to Taylor’s death, Hankinson was fired and charged with three counts of first-degree wanton endangerment for “blindly” firing and endangering individuals in the neighboring apartment.According to the lawsuit, Margo Borders was “willfully, intentionally, painfully and violently” sexually assaulted by Hankison after he offered her a ride home from a bar in 2018. Borders initially publicly accused the former officer in a Facebook post on June 4, in which she called him a “predator of the worst kind.” She detailed her horrific story and the condition Hankison left her in.The suit was filed Tuesday in Jefferson County Circuit Court by Sam Aguiar and Lonita Baker, attorneys for Taylor’s family, along with Steve Romines, an attorney for Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker. The suit also includes comments from nine other women who claim either inappropriate conduct or sexual assault by Hankison.A second woman shared her story on Instagram of Hankison also giving her a ride home. “I thought to myself, ‘Wow. That is so nice of him,’” Terry wrote. “And willingly got in. He began making sexual advances towards me; rubbing my thigh, kissing my forehead, and calling me ‘baby.’ Mortified, I did not move. I continued to talk about my grad school experiences and ignored him. As soon as he pulled up to my apartment building, I got out of the car and ran to the back.” She added that despite the incident being reported the next day “nothing came from it.”Not only has the Louisville Metro Police Department failed to hold the officers who killed Taylor accountable for their actions, but they continue to hide the abuse their officers commit. These crimes and abuses cannot go unpunished and the department needs to be reevaluated.
October 17, 2017 Press Release, Public Health, Substance Use Disorder Harrisburg, PA – The Wolf Administration today awarded $1 million grants to four organizations to build medication-assisted treatment programs for Pennsylvanians suffering from the disease of addiction. The announcement was made at Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute, a collaboration between Penn State Health and UPMC Pinnacle.Grants also were awarded to the Allegheny Health Network, Geisinger Clinic, and Wellspan Health.“Medication-assisted treatment helps someone suffering from the disease of addiction to recover from their illness,” Governor Wolf said. “Through these grants, we can expand access to this treatment to all Pennsylvanians in their own communities through a ‘hub-and-spoke’ network of health care providers.”Pennsylvania’s hub-and-spoke model has an addiction specialist physician at the center as the hub, providing expert guidance and support to primary care physicians in rural and underserved areas of the state who serve as the spokes. The primary care physicians will provide the direct-patient care, including the medication-assisted treatment prescription. Patients also will be connected to drug and alcohol counseling in their communities.“It’s clear that Pennsylvania needs a new and comprehensive approach to this disease,” said Dr. A. Craig Hillemeier, CEO of Penn State Health, dean of Penn State College of Medicine and Penn State’s senior vice president for health affairs. “We know from research that when treatment includes both medication and therapy, patients do better. And when patients do better, families and communities do better.”“In 2016, the Wolf Administration secured funding for Centers of Excellence (COE) across the commonwealth focusing on evidence-based medication-assisted treatment to combat the opioid epidemic,” Acting Secretary for Human Services Teresa Miller said. “While the COEs serve individuals primarily on Medicaid, today, these grants will broaden access to commercially insured individuals to ensure that all Pennsylvanians have access to high-quality treatment that focuses on the whole person.”“These grants will provide more primary care physicians with the support they need to prescribe medication-assisted treatment to their patients,” Acting Secretary of Health and Physician General Dr. Rachel Levine said. “These grants will lay the groundwork for patients to receive quality addiction treatment in their community.”“Pennsylvania continues to battle the heroin and opioid crisis head-on and these grants will expand access to Medication Assisted Treatment, helping to treat individuals suffering from substance use disorder,” said Acting DDAP Secretary Jennifer Smith. “At a time when we are losing 13 Pennsylvanians each day to overdoses, increasing access to care is a top priority of the Wolf Administration.”The grants are funded through the 21st Century Cures grant, a $26.5 million federal grant received by the Wolf Administration to combat the heroin and opioid epidemic by increasing access to treatment, reducing unmet treatment need, and reducing opioid overdose-related deaths through the provision of prevention, treatment and recovery activities for opioid use disorder. Twenty-three organizations applied.The Wolf Administration holds the fight against heroin and prescription opioids as a top priority. To continue the battle against the opioid epidemic in Pennsylvania, Governor Wolf, working with the General Assembly, has included the following in the 2017-18 budget:Expanding access to life-saving naloxone by providing $5 million through the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency to first responders, law enforcement, and other public entities across the commonwealth;Maximizing federal 21st Century Cures Act funding, which includes $26.2 million in each of the next two years for Pennsylvania, to expand access to treatment services, particularly for individuals who are uninsured or underinsured; andProviding $2 million to expand specialty drug courts to expand treatment strategies that divert offenders into more meaningful treatment and recovery.Some of the administration’s other initiatives to fight the opioid epidemic include:Working with the legislature to establish a new law limiting the number of opioids that can be prescribed to a minor and to individuals discharged from emergency rooms to seven days;Strengthening the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) through the legislative process so that doctors are required and able to check the system each time they prescribe opioids and benzodiazepines;Increasing the number by 25 of rural Medicaid providers who are able to prescribe MAT through funding from a federal grant;Forming new prescribing guidelines to help doctors who provide opioid prescriptions to their patients, including guidelines specific to orthopedics and sports medicine;Creating the warm handoff guideline to facilitate referrals from the emergency department to substance abuse treatment;Teaming with the legislature to establish education curriculum on safe prescribing for medical schools;Educating and encouraging patients to properly use, store and dispose of unused prescription medications through drug take-back initiatives, and expanding the number of drug take-back locations to more than 600; andIncreasing the availability of naloxone. Wolf Administration Awards $4 million in Grants for Medication-Assisted Treatment Programs to Battle Addiction Epidemic SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Tags: C-NSgirls basketballliverpool Early in the third quarter, B’ville’s defensive pressure forced a rash of C-NS turnovers, and late in the period the Northstars trailed 33-20.But helped by a 10-0 run, C-NS pulled within one, 35-34, with more than six minutes to play, finally getting some outside shots to go with Cook’s production as she finished with 21 points.Ultimately, it was B’ville’s Ola Bednarczyk sinking a pair of crucial 3-pointers to thwart the Northstars’ comeback, the last of them with 2:18 to play that made it 43-36. C-NS never got closer than four points again.Leading the Bees, Katie Pascale earned 13 of her 17 points in the second half. Hannah Mimas, Sydney Huhtala and Kyrah Wilbur had six points apiece.And all this followed a tense battle at West Genesee Tuesday night, where Cook returned to the lineup after missing the Northstars’ Feb. 5 win over Fayetteville-Manlius.Every bit of Cook’s inside dominance was needed to beat the Wildcats 60-52. For three periods, it went back and forth, the Wildcats far more effective against the Northstars’ defense than it was when C-NS won 46-32 in their January encounter.Down by just a point, 51-50, going to the fourth quarter, WG ultimately fell back because Cook kept making baskets, not letting up until she had amassed 36 points, two short of a career high.Enough support came from Carey-Santangelo (eight points) and Abbee Norris (six points) as WG got 19 points from Meredith James, including five 3-pointers, while Catie Cunningham put in 17 points.After the loss to B’ville, C-NS romped past Corcoran 82-43 on Friday, getting away with a 22-2 second-quarter run. Cook again had 21 points, with Alexandra Miller getting 14 points as Nicolette Kasch and Gianna Chiaramonte had 10 points apiece.In between these two games, Liverpool handled Henninger 59-17 last Wednesday night, streaking to a 38-5 halftime lead helped by a 27-4 dominantion of the second quarter.Karlyssa Shifflett, with 20 points, outscored the Black Knights all by herself, adding five rebounds as Naveah Wingate had 12 points. Sarah Miles got 10 rebounds as Jim’Marya Hunter had eight points and six rebounds.A 56-55 defeat to Victor (Section V) on Saturday left the Warriors at 6-13 going into Monday’s regular-season finale against Nottingham, where a win could still mean a post-season berth.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story Determined to grab all of it, C-NS nearly overcame a short-handed roster, an ice-cold start and a double-digit second-half deficit, but saw its late comeback thwarted in a 48-40 loss to the Bees.Just eight players were dressed for the Northstars as forwared Julia Rowe was out. Then, in the first quarter, Jessica Cook picked up two fouls and Alita Carey-Santangelo went to the bench with an injury, though she would return.Without Cook for the entire second period, C-NS got five bench points from Crystal Leonardi, but then was shut out for more than five minutes. Only superb defense kept things close as the Northstars trailed 14-11 at the break. A 10-game win streak, a no. 10 state ranking – these were the sorts of long stretches of success that the Cicero-North Syracuse girls basketball team made routine in its eight-year run atop the Section III Class AA ranks from 2009 to ’16.What those Northstars also had was a big-game aura, built on nights such as Thursday’s high-stakes clash with state no. 12-ranked Baldwinsville at Baker High School.That long win streak was at stake, as was the SCAC Metro division regular-season title and the possible top seed for the sectional playoffs.
Gambling.com maintains momentum against COVID-19 impacts August 19, 2020 Share Submit Related Articles Successful summer leaves Leadstar positive over industry’s recovery August 18, 2020 UKGC data reveals ‘notable recovery’ for sports betting July 6, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Last month the Responsible Gambling Strategy Board (RGSB) published a report that aimed to gauge a greater understanding of the full range of harms gambling can have on society. In collaboration with the Gambling Commission and GambleAware, the report examined how the social cost of gambling-related harms can be measured and better understood.SBC caught up with the report’s lead author, Dr Heather Wardle, to find out more.SBC: Hi Heather! One of the primary objectives of your report was providing a working definition of gambling-related harms and situating this within a new framework for policy and regulatory action. What are the main benefits of doing so?HW: A focus on harms is simply a focus on outcomes, a focus on the things that happen because of gambling. For too long, policy and practice has focused on individual problem gamblers and ignored the broader range of harms that are experienced from gambling, or the broader range of people that might be harmed from gambling – for example, the partners, families and friends of gamblers. Looking at the outcomes actually helps us to think about a much broader range of strategies for reducing harms and the different levels at which they need to be implemented. It gives policy makers, regulators and, arguably, the industry the option to think more creatively about their approach to reducing harms.SBC: The report looks to identify the most effective way to estimate the social cost of gambling-related harms. What are you referring to with the term ‘social cost’? And which methods would you recommend to reduce this cost?HW: By social costs we’re talking in simplest terms about the cost to society from the adverse consequences of gambling. There are many different ways to approach this, which have been well used in other areas.We talk in our report about potential use of administrative data, for example benefit records, and creating estimates of what proportion of the claimant bill is attributable to gambling. We also talk about some of the methodological challenges in doing this. But there are other ways to approach this, you could look at the overall detriment to health and wellbeing from gambling and measure cost in these terms. What we really need now is for expert health economists to engage with this area and provide advice on the best way to approach this. This is what we are hoping our position paper will do.SBC: Ultimately, do you believe that the establishment of a framework to help quantify and record problem gambling will be beneficial to all those involved?HW: I think many in the industry might be concerned about the shift in focus to harms but I actually think this could be better for them. They are having to write in annual assurance statements what they are doing to tackle issues, and using harms as a framework gives them more scope to demonstrate impact. For example, this could be by developing an intervention which shows that the proportion of accounts where people are losing x amount of money has reduced (should this be the case), rather than attempting to demonstrate impact by reducing the number of problem gamblers, where the size of the impact has to be so large it is often unattainable. It is much more in-keeping with a preventative approach to action, I think.SBC: Moving forward, how would you recommend that the government uses the findings of this study to curb problem gambling and its adverse effects on British society?HW: This paper is just the start of what I hope will be an ongoing and sustained effort to better understand the harms associated with gambling and their costs. My hope is that it raises the importance of taking strategic action in this area much higher up the policy agenda and I firmly believe this can only be achieved by increasing the visibility of harms and planning action to address them. The government needs to recognise that to take effective action in reducing harms, it is not enough to focus on individuals alone, but the whole ecosystem in which gambling is offered needs to be considered. There have been some promising signs that this perspective is being considered, I’d like to see this embedded in policy action.Dr Heather Wardle is an assistant professor at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, where she specialises in researching gambling behaviour