Khashoggi trial: truth impossible from trial with no public or journalists

first_img News Turkey, the country where the murder took place, began holding its own trial in July. RSF is registered as in interested party so that it can attend the proceedings, in which those accused are being tried in absentia. News Saudi Arabia is ranked 170th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. March 9, 2021 Find out more There were 11 defendants at the original trial but the court acquitted three of them for lack of evidence when it issued its verdict in December 2019. They included a close adviser to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. They also included Gen. Ahmad Al-Assiri, the deputy head of intelligence, who was suspected of supervising the murder. Organisation “The total of 124 years in prison for those convicted of Jamal Khashoggi’s murder gives the impression that justice has been administered in an appropriate manner, but we must not forget that the trial was held behind closed doors and therefore did not respect basic principles of justice” RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire said. “This trial with no public and no journalists has not revealed the truth and has not enabled us to learn what happened in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October 2018 and who gave the prior order to commit this state murder. As premeditation was ruled out, we are asked to believe that matters got out of control, but a great deal of evidence demonstrates the contrary. We nonetheless note with satisfaction that the court abandoned the death sentences originally imposed on some of the defendants.” Receive email alerts After a Saudi court today issued final verdicts and sentences on appeal in the Jamal Khashoggi murder case, giving eight unidentified defendants sentences ranging from 7 to 20 years in prison, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) reiterates its position that only an independent international investigation will be able to render justice in this case. Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Impunity to go further NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs saycenter_img Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Impunity Help by sharing this information News The Saudi TV channel Al Arabiya reported that, according to the public prosecutor’s office, the five defendants sentenced to death at the original trial were given 20-year jail terms, while the other three were given sentences ranging from 7 to 10 years in prison. In all, the jail sentences totalled 124 years. As in the original trial, the court maintained that the journalist’s murder was not premeditated. Saudi media silent on RSF complaint against MBS June 8, 2021 Find out more News RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance April 28, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Follow the news on Saudi Arabia September 7, 2020 Khashoggi trial: truth impossible from trial with no public or journalistslast_img read more

Allied Bakeries strike averted

first_imgA strike threat at the Allied Bakeries plant at Milton, north of Glasgow, has been averted.Union members of USDAW had balloted for a 24-hour strike on Monday 19 December and Thursday 22 December. Two more strikes were planned for 26 December and 28 December.Lawrence Wason, USDAW Scottish officer, said: “The strike has been called off because a new ballot is being held between 14 December and 23 December. We are hopeful of a settlement.”The plant produces Kingsmill, Burgen, and own-brand loaves for Asda and Tesco.An Allied Bakeries spokesman said: “We remain committed to delivering a realistic and competitive pay increase. It’s rare for our people to leave us for a higher salary and, when we do advertise, we are inundated with good-quality applicants. The increases we have offered are in line with the deals agreed by other employees across our bakery in Glasgow.”Staff had been offered a 2% rise, after recent negotiations, but had said they wanted more.Associated British Foods, which owns Primark, Twinings, and several other major brands, saw a 9% rise in profits in November to £249m.last_img read more

Real Madrid star extends contract at La Liga giants

first_img Loading… Promoted ContentZodiac Signs Reimagined As Women Look IncredibleThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread ArtTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All Time7 Famous And Incredibly Unique Places In ThailandWhat Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?Couples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayBest Car Manufacturers In The WorldTop Tastiest Foods From All Over The WorldBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemThe Best Cars Of All Time That will be a massive boost for the club, with the players now back in training and preparing to play out the rest of this season – should all go to plan – starting next month. Since his return to the club in 2015, Casemiro has proved an effective shielding midfielder, and it now sounds like he’s going to be sticking around a few seasons further. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Los Blancos aren’t just looking outside the club though. They’re also looking to clean out the deadwood in the squad – and secure the players they value most. Of of those names without doubt, is that of Casemiro, who has emerged as an important player for Zinedine Zidane through his two reigns as manager.Advertisement There may be a global pandemic going on, but it doesn’t seem like that’s going to slow down Real Madrid in the transfer market this summer. Mundo Deportivo today write that the midfielder’s contract renovation has been “closed” and that they have today agreed all the terms of his extension. Read Also: Klopp: Messi is the best, but I admire Ronaldolast_img read more

Extra incentive for Welsh and Irish

first_img Press Association England, Scotland and France are already seeded after they reached the knockout stages in 2013 but Wales and Ireland will have to go through qualifying if they fail to top the European Championship, which gets under way this weekend. The winners of the four-team tournament, which was officially launched in Brighouse on Monday, already had the carrot of a place in the 2016 Four Nations Series to be held in the northern hemisphere. Wales and Ireland have been handed an extra incentive ahead of the 2014 European Championship with automatic qualification for the 2017 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand guaranteed for the winners.center_img “To get automatic entry into the World Cup is very important to us but to be part of the Four Nations would be outstanding,” Ireland coach Mark Aston said. “That would be just the carrot you want to lead you into the next World Cup, you’d get all the big hitters out of the woodwork again. “I’ve always said Ireland could have a real strong team who could compete against England and the lot if we could just get all the players to play for us at the same time. That’s the challenge for us and it’s the challenge for the international game. “If we’re going to do it, we should be doing it to the best of our ability. We should be making clubs and players support it.” Aston, who has appointed Leigh hooker Bob Beswick as captain, will be forced to play up to eight domestic players after injury denied him the services of a host of World Cup men, including skipper Liam Finn. Wales, too, will have a new captain in Peter Lupton after Craig Kopczak made himself unavailable but new coach John Kear is excited at the opportunities presented to a large home-grown contingent of players. Kear said: “The World Cup qualification is a big carrot. I’m sure it’s not the only way we’d be able to qualify but it’s one of them and, if you can grasp that card straight away, then all well and good. “France should be favourites if you look at all four squads but for our players being home-grown Welsh, their incentive is first and foremost to pull on a Welsh shirt and you can sense that in their passion and application towards training. “They really are throwing themselves literally into everything that we’re doing and it’s very pleasing. World Cup qualification will be the icing on the cake.” Huddersfield captain Danny Brough, the 2013 Man of Steel, confirmed he will lead Scotland, who open the tournament with a game against Wales at Workington on Friday. Ireland begin their campaign against France at Tallaght Stadium, Dublin, on Saturday afternoon. last_img read more