Nearly every region that has imposed large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) has recorded a significant decrease in coronavirus cases, the national COVID-19 task force says, signaling an optimistic outcome from the implementation of the health protocols to fight the pandemic.A number of governors convened via video conference on Tuesday morning to report up-to-date results from the PSBB in their respective provinces. Several designated referral centers across the provinces had recorded fewer COVID-19 in-patients after they put in place the mobility restrictions, said COVID-19 task force chief Doni Monardo.“One of the referral centers in West Sumatra, M Jamil Hospital in Padang, reported 46 COVID-19 in-patients of a total capacity of 112 beds,” he said. West Sumatra Governor Irwan Prayitno, meanwhile, said the province had not recorded an influx of imported COVID-19 cases – transmission via visitors from other regions – since the administration imposed the PSBB on April 22.“The number of patients under treatment [PDPs] has decreased from 12 percent to 4 percent [of the total cases] since the PSBB,” he said during the meeting, adding that the administration had not recorded any new clusters from the region’s 299 confirmed COVID-19 cases since the restrictions first took effect.At least 20 regencies, municipalities and provinces across the country have imposed the PSBB since its inception in Jakarta on April 10. Initially imposed for two weeks, the mobility restrictions have been extended for another 14 days in many of the regions, with Jakarta extending the PSBB for 28 days until May 22.Read also: Jakarta’s curve flattened? Experts question government’s claimMost experts agree that mobility restrictions have helped curb infections but they also warn the government not to jump the gun by deciding to relax curbs without taking into account further epidemiological studies to assess the scale of the pandemic.As of Tuesday, Indonesia had confirmed 14,749 COVID-19 cases and 1,007 deaths linked to the disease, according to the central government’s data.Doni went on to say that President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo had previously said that the central government would give regional administrations the freedom to choose the types of mitigation measures they considered to be most compatible with their respective needs and the characteristics of their populations.“Regional administrations are allowed to adopt an approach [that is relevant] to their respective situations, such as using local wisdom to ensure public compliance with the health protocols,” he said.Topics : “Meanwhile, Hasan Sadikin Hospital in [Bandung], West Java, recorded 30 COVID-19 patients of its total capacity of 135 beds.”Read also: ‘Reinfected’ North Sumatra COVID-19 patient ‘feels fine, but stressed’The Jakarta administration had also previously reported that the number of in-patients had dropped to fewer than 60 percent of the confirmed cases in the region — the hardest hit by the coronavirus in the country — after imposing the PSBB, Doni said.The provincial administration of Central Java, which has only imposed partial mobility restrictions, reported that it would continue carrying out contact-tracing on a cluster of attendees of a mass Islamic event in Gowa, South Sulawesi, which has yielded 1,118 cases so far.
• Nigerian athletes protest resultsBY Femi SolajaEthiopians Suntayahu Legese and Dinke Meseret were the hero and heroine of the day as they came top in both male and female events of the 2019 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon held yesterday. At the end of the 42km race which attracted over 400, 000 athletes across the world, Legese returned with a time of 2:17:28secs to come first while Kipkorir Joshua of Kenya came second with a time of 2:18:16secs to beat fellow countryman, William Yegon to the third place. Yegon returned with a time of 2:19:04secs.It was the Ethiopia show in the keenly contested female category of the marathon as the first three positions went to Ethiopian athletes.Meseret came first with a time of 2:48:02secs while Alemnesh Herepa came second with a time of 2:49:05secs and Kebena Chala placed third with a time of 2:49:09secs.While presenting the star prize of $50, 000 to the male winner, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode praised all the athletes for putting up a good fight in the race and said it was keenly contested. He assured that the race has come to stay in Lagos State.Amobode also expressed appreciation to the management of the title sponsor, Access Bank and other co-sponsors and partners for making the race a reality.Meanwhile, Nigerian female athletes that participated in the 42km and 10km races protested the results announced by the organisers.According to the athletes, they were denied their hard won victories at the race and complained openly and bitterly.“This is terribly bad. We were denied our hard won victories and we will not accept it,” said one of the aggrieved athletes.However, General Manager of the race, Yusuf Alli, said the athletes were technically deficient and that affected their result. Alli however said the organisers will look into their protests.It was also observed that the commemorative medals for all the participants that finished the race were inadequate as most of the runners complained openly because it was a carryover of what many of them went through last year.“I ran the 40 km race but I’m lucky to be given a medal meant for 10 km runners. What about others in my category that did not even get anything,” a marathoner consoled himself yesterday.Top Nigerian artists led by D’banj, Teni and Olamide thrilled the crowd with some of their popular tracks before the presentation of prizes.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
The amounts ranged from $30 (£22) a minute for a win to $10 (£7) a minute for a 1-0 defeat.“In reference to what we heard, we want to make it clear that we are against anything of this kind,” Bonilla added.“We want to be transparent about everything that has happened with the national team.”Fourteen El Salvador players were previously banned for life in 2013 after being found guilty of match-fixing.Padilla, a former president of El Salvador club Alianza FC, told a newspaper in the country that he was not asking the players to match-fix.“Let them investigate. Those who want to see it as something bad can see it that way and those who want to see it as something good then they can too,” he told La Prensa Grafica.Investigative journalist Declan Hill told the BBC World Service it is “most dramatic thing in football” for some time.“The entire team came in with their coaches and said they had been approached on Saturday,” he said.“They played an 11-minute conversation with the attempted match-fixer. He was offering each player a variety of money per minute depending on the result they could get. The most they would have got for allegedly fixing the match would have been about $3,000 per player.”There has been no comment from the Honduran or Canadian football associations.A FIFA spokesman said it is “aware of the claims” and that “in co-operation with the respective organisations and authorities, FIFA is looking into this matter”.While Padilla’s offers to players appear to help Honduras – who face group leaders Mexico – the neighbouring countries have had difficult relations in the past.The two Central American nations briefly went to war in 1969 and as the conflict coincided with bad-tempered World Cup matches between the two, it became known as the Football War.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram El Salvador players were offered financial incentives before yesterday’s World Cup 2018 qualifying game against Canada, the country’s football association has confirmed.It said Salvadoran businessman Ricardo Padilla offered the players rewards to win, draw or avoid a heavy loss.A heavy defeat could see Canada progress at the expense of El Salvador’s neighbours Honduras.World football governing body FIFA has confirmed it is investigating.In a recording played by El Salvador’s captain Nelson Bonilla at a news conference, Padilla promised various amounts of money to players depending on the result.