In Uganda UN chief meets with South Sudanese refugees urges world to

“In a world where so many people are selfishly closing their doors, closing their borders, not allowing refugees to come, this example deserves praise [and] admiration from the whole international community,” Mr. Guterres told reporters at the Imvepi Refugee Reception Centre in the Arua district of northern Uganda. Imvepi is the first stop for many South Sudanese refugees once they cross the border into Uganda. The camp, which opened in February this year, is already filling up; hosting some 120,000 refugees, mostly women and children, fleeing violence and instability in the neighbouring country. In just the past year, the overall refugee population in Uganda has more than doubled – from 500,000 to more than 1.25 million – making the East African country host to the world’s fastest growing refugee emergency. The UN chief pointed out that tomorrow, the international community would have the opportunity to express its solidarity, “responding to our appeal for massive financial support, both for humanitarian aid for the refugees, but also for the investments necessary for the education system, the health system, the infrastructure, the [local] environment, to be able to cope with this enormous challenge.” Mr. Guterres was referring to the ‘Solidarity Summit,’ which opened today in the Ugandan capital, Kamapla, and is expected to wrap up tomorrow. Co-hosted by Uganda and the UN, the event aims to rally international support for refugees and host communities in the form of donations, investments and innovative programmes. VIDEO: Meeting with South Sudanese refugees in Uganda’s Imvepi camp, UN chief António Guterres commends the generosity of the Ugandan Government and its people, and calls for an end to the conflict in South Sudan. “At the same time, I cannot forget that twelve years ago I was here, in June, in this same place. I was [marking] World Refugee Day with South Sudanese refugees that were singing with joy because they were going back home soon,” said Mr. Guterres, who is the former UN High Commissioner for Refugees. He said he had later accompanied many of them across the border with the hope that the their new country would live in peace. Unfortunately, that had not been the case. South Sudan’s leaders “do not deserve the people of their country,” said the Secretary-General, stressing that the South Sudanese people have been suffering enormously [in an] endless war.” “It is time for the war to end. It is time for all the leaders of South Sudan to understand that they need to stop this war,” he said, expressing gratitude for the efforts made by the Heads of State of the region, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), the African Union and by the UN to help create the conditions for peace to be re-established. Secretary-General António Guterres speaks to media in the Imvepi refugee camp in Uganda. UN Photo/Mark Garten The ‘Solidarity Summit,’ in the Ugandan capital of Kamapla aims to rally international support for refugees and host communities in the form of donations, investments and innovative programmes. UN Photo/Mark Garten Mr. Guterres and David Beasley, Executive Director of the World Food Programme, serve food at the Imvepi Camp reception area for the newly arrived refugees. UN Photo/Mark Garten ‹ › “Peace in South Sudan is a must for these people to be able to have a future,” said the Secretary-General. Secretary-General António Guterres and Ruhakana Rugunda, Prime Minister of Uganda, speak with host community representatives on issues relating to the refugee situation. UN Photo/Mark Garten UN chief meets South Sudan refugees in the camp who are awaiting relocation. UN Photo/Mark Garten “Peace in South Sudan is a must for these people to be able to have a future,” said the Secretary-General. UN Photo/Mark Garten read more

Explosive device found at Glasgow University linked to packages at three sites

glasgow uni glasgow uni The university said minor restrictions were still in place while the mail room would remain closed. All other buildings reopened late yesterday afternoon.A spokesman added: “We apologise to all staff and students who have suffered disruption and thank everyone for their patience and understanding as police dealt with this incident.”Counter-terror police south of the border are still working to identify a motive or suspect over the explosive packages sent to offices at Heathrow Airport, City Airport and Waterloo Station, which were posted with Irish stamps and had Dublin as the return address. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Counter-terrorism police are investigating a suspicious package sent to Glasgow University after it was linked with improvised explosive devices sent to three major London transport hubs.Police Scotland and the Metropolitan Police are now working together on the inquiry after a controlled explosion was carried out in Scotland’s biggest city on Wednesday.The package was detected the day after devices posted with Irish stamps were received in London, prompting an investigation by counter-terrorism police into a possible Irish dissident plot.Assistant Chief Constable Steve Johnson said: “There are similarities in the package, its markings and the type of device that was recovered in Glasgow to those in London.“Therefore, we are now treating it as being linked to the three packages being investigated by the Met in London and both investigations are being run in tandem.”Our enquiries into the Glasgow package are at an early stage but there is no ongoing risk to the public.” A suspicious package was found in the mail roomCredit:SWNS A controlled explosion was carried out after university buildings were evacuatedCredit:PA Mr Johnson said the package in Glasgow was identified by “alert staff at the university mail room who had received protective security information” advising them to report suspicious packages.He added: “The same advice has already been sent to a range of businesses, including transport hubs and mail sorting companies, and will now also be sent to those in the education sector.” Police confirmed a “device” was found in the package on the main campus, but said it was not opened and no-one was hurt in the incident, which caused major disruption to the university and on roads in the west end of Glasgow.Staff and students were asked to evacuate several buildings shortly before 11am, with classes cancelled for the rest of the day. Nearby roads were closed for several hours during the incident.One student tweeted during the incident: “Just been evacuated from the med school due to a suspicious package getting told to move to byres road, loads of police, fire engines and all cordoned off now!”Scary stuff, guy just came shouting we needed to evacuate as suspicious package found then the police were shouting at us to move away from the building!” read more